Reflections on being a cycle commuter - Year 1





 
 
Reflections on year 1 of cycle commuting 
 
Friends of mine have cycle commuted for years and when I first spoke to one in particular about it I had questions like:-
 
  1. What if it’s raining? 
  2. Do you have to plan to shower when you get there and take a towel with you? 
  3. Is there somewhere to park ?
  4. How do you carry your stuff ?
  5. Did you have to buy a spare hairdryer for work. And a brush. And product. And make up? 
  6. What do you do if you puncture?
  7. How did you plan your route? 
 
There seemed so many obstacles to cycling to work. Obstacles which as a leisure road cyclist I didn’t have to consider.
 
At the time I lived 1.8km from work and I walked. There was no point getting my bike out and having ‘all that faff’ to deal with. The quickest way to and from work, door to door, was to walk.
 
Then I moved jobs. But I went from the sublime to the ridiculous. My new job was a 110 mile round trip M62 motorway drive. Or an 84 mile direct route round trip over the Pennines. Inspired by my friend’s relentless bike commute habit I decided that it was feasible sometimes to ride in. At least that’s when it was a long daylight day, in fine weather, when I had a 10am start and when I had the motivation to pack my suitcase of ‘stuff’ and take it over by car the day before. And in the 3 years I worked there I managed it - I never got out of single digits for my total number of round trips. But at least I got to work some days entirely under my own steam and at no cost. 
 
After 3 years of awful car commuting (with little realistic alternative to break the monotony) I volunteered for redundancy. I was tired of the car, the drive, the motorway. The only brightness about the journey was the opportunity to chatter hands free with my parents or friends.
 
My next job was a 6 mile round trip commute. I didn’t have any excuses. The reality was I didn’t want any. 
 
So I set about getting myself organised. 
 
First. A bike. Which bike? I already had a sturdy touring/cross bike with a rack. It had been stored apart from occasional touring trips. It needed a good service and some components and a clean and lube. Check.
 
Next. Panniers. A good set of waterproof panniers. With reflector strips. I bought a pair of black panniers so they would be less obviously a cycle accessory if I went out after work. The truth is I don’t really care about such things. But I’m a solicitor. The legal profession can be a bit judgmental. I’m afraid I allowed that to influence my decision (although I am a big fan of black gear anyway). Check.
 
Next. Lights. I started working in January. I needed lights in the morning and at night. I looked at recommendations and bought a good set with usb charging. And a set of helmet lights. I’m small. I need all the help I can get to be seen. Check.
 
High viz? Not compulsory but I choose to wear it - sometimes.
I had a jacket already. Check.
 
Helmet. Not compulsory but I wear one. I had an everyday one. A downgrade when I bought my lightweight road helmet. Still perfectly serviceable and importantly not bumped or dented. That would do. Check.
 
Route planning? I worked out a route that would do as a starter. I have observed other cyclists heading in the same direction as me and I altered my route slightly. I have found a quieter route when football is on and the roads are clogged etc. It was a work in progress.
 
Parking. I park in the basement at work. I already had a bike lock. Check.
 
Gloves. Essential for winter riding. Check. 
 
Shoes. I bought some goretex trail shoes in the sale. I use them everyday. Check.
 
Shower? There is one at work. I’ve only used it though when I have run in to work. If I cycle it’s only 3 miles. I go steadily. It can be as little as 12 minutes if it’s quiet and I hit the lights on green. I don’t plan to shower therefore if I ride. I deliberately don’t dash along on my bike commute. I save that for weekend training rides. Going more slowly makes my ride relaxed and therapeutic. Ish! (Subject to vehicles and pedestrians). 
 
Clothes to cycle in. Specific clothes are not necessary for a short ride. My preference is to wear cycling shorts or longs. It’s a personal thing. It’s not necessary. Check.
 
Lunch. I pack my lunch into my pannier. I usually use just one pannier. 
 
Work clothes. I pack them into my pannier.  I leave work footwear, suit jackets, a collection of scarves and my overcoat at work. I transport everything else I need daily. 
 
Makeup. I don’t wear a lot. But what I wear I apply before I leave home. And I don’t dash to work. So it stays in tact – enough anyway.
 
What benefits does it give me? 
 
Fresh air - every day it’s like driving a convertible. Except better 
 
I appreciate the seasons. I even enjoy the rain – it’s refreshing.
 
I have realised that even in Manchester it doesn’t actually rain that often. Yes, of course I have arrived at work drenched. But not more than say 5 times all year.
 
Predictability. My commute time varies only by a maximum of 4 minutes. And that’s if United and City and Little Mix are all in town on the same night! 
 
Cost. Essentially free travel. No daily cost. No daily parking. 
 
Door to door service. My bike lives in the house and in the basement at work. It sometimes makes me feel lazy because I’m not walking anywhere. But then I remember I’m cycling every working day. 
 
Environmental. I’m no kind of enviro basher but it makes me feel like I’m contributing. 
 
Food and drink choices. I can eat cake and biscuits without worrying too much about it. I can justify, a little bit more, that glass of wine or G&T. 
 
Stress. I use cycling as a psychological crutch. I try to ride to work mindfully. I observe my surroundings. I talk to other cyclists. I smile - to myself and others around me. (A stark contrast from the M62 where everyone is travelling in the same direction and the only human contact, unless you have your own passenger ,is when you are stuck in traffic which is annoying anyway and unlikely to put me in a suitable position to interact with others and smile). 
 
Making friends. In my new job I had an immediate connection with the other cyclists. Cycling breaks down barriers. 
 
Road safety. Ok. So I have had some incidents. Some near misses. Some heated exchanges. I have pulled off the road and had a cry once or twice - but that is out of a count of 332 journeys so far this year. I used to get in car journey confrontations too – it’s no different.
 
Smug factor. Passing stationary traffic and people waiting and waiting and waiting at bus stops. Why do it?
 
Mileage. I set a 2017 mileage target for kilometres on my bike at 8000. I am at 7505km and it is just December. I can do this. How satisfying to achieve a goal in that way.
 
 
In summary
My habit now is cycle commuting. It would be harder and more costly for me to drive and it would take me longer. The same would apply to bus or tram journeys. I would miss the seasons and the same opportunity to enjoy the open air. After some preparation to get going with cycling to work, it is now very easy for me. And I wouldn’t change it for the world. Much like starting any new job, a new travel plan is needed. Much like starting a new year, it is time to review and reflect. Why not make the change and cycle to work?
 
Nadia Kerr tweets at @CyclingLawyers and is a cycle accident claims solicitor at JMW Solicitors in Manchester https://www.jmw.co.uk/services-for-you/personal-injury/people/nadia-kerr/



Comments

  1. Hi Nadia. I like doing it too. We sold our second car as it really wasn't getting used and we needed to save some money. Mine is even shorter at 4.5 miles round trip, but I like the awakening effect of cycling. There have been days when I have arrived a bit cold and wet, but generally my ride is off road. One or two scary moments with idiots in cars but nothing new there. Hope you are ok and that we see you guys soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Nigel. Awakening is a lovely word - refreshing and bracing are others! Keep going with it - I am sure you will.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

London Edinburgh London (LEL - 2021)